Apple’s iMessage is one of the most popular messaging platforms around the world. The operating system used by the iPhone locks its users into a unique ecosystem. The iMessage service is a brilliant and excellent way that enables you and other iPhone users to communicate without facing extra charges from your network provider. The aptitude to send and receive messages from any device connected to the iCloud account is genius.
Nonetheless, the idea of sending and receiving messages on your phone can lead to unnecessary disruptions. For instance, you are in a meeting, and your iPhone, iPad or Mac device keeps alerting you on incoming messages after every few minutes.
The sound of all of those alerts causes distractions that could lead to accidents due to lack of concentration.
Disabling iMessage on your iPhone or iPad is many at times the first step to take if you are having difficulties with sending or receiving messages. You switch off and then getting back online can often cause accumulation of iMessage.
We might not admit it, but the age-old suggestion of turning off and then back on again works well.
Below are ways to help you disable iMessage notifications on your iPhone
Complete the following steps to disable iMessage
- Open the settings of the iMessage app.
- Tap “Messages.
- Complete the process of turning off all iMessage app messages off by flicking the switch. If you need to turn it back on, here is where you are supposed to turn your iMessage app on.
Deactivating iMessage manually from Apple’s servers;
If you want to deactivate iMessage but don’t have an iPhone with you, there’s a way out. Apple allows you to deactivate your phone from iMessenger servers. This is done online and here’s how to do it;
- Open this URL on your browser; http://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage.
- Scroll down until you find an option called; No Longer Have iPhone.
- You’ll be prompted to give the phone number you wish to deactivate. Enter the phone number and select ‘Send’.
- Go to the section “No longer have your iPhone” and add the phone number you’re deactivating.
- Click the ‘Send’ Option, sending the phone number as a code.
- You’ll receive a text message and a confirming that the iMessage deactivation has been successful.
NB; another option would be to call Apple and have them manually deactivate the app from your phone number. By calling Apple technical support, your phone number can be deregistered manually from the iMessage servers. You’ll be asked for the phone number, and Apple ID; have those at your fingertips when calling.
How to sign out of iCloud in Messages
Alternatively, if you want to turn off iMessage permanently, you can sign out of your iCloud account. This action will only affect the iMessage app and no other application connected to the iCloud account.
- Open your browser and log in to your iCloud account.
- Click Preferences on the Messages menu.
- Choose the account you want to sign out.
- Press sign out to your Apple account.
- Confirm your actions by clicking Sign out in the pop-up window that appears.
In summary, the iMessage app allows your friends family, and colleagues with iPhones to initiate iMessage chats instead of SMS or MMS. The iOS provides you with a free mode communication if your friends are also using devices that support iOS. Importantly, the iMessage feature is ineffective if you or your friends stop using devices with iOS.
The most efficient way to make sure you do not miss any messages from those still using IOS is to turn off iMessage before you go offline.